Monday, September 14, 2009

Vegemite vs. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter is loved worldwide. Vegemite hasn't been adopted beyond Australia except for NZ which has a close rival product. Peanut Butter is made from ground, roasted peanuts. Vegemite's core ingredient is brewer's yeast extract i.e. the stuff left over in the bottom of the canister from beer manufacturing.

Net: there's no real contest between these two spreads. Had I not been tricked into eating some Vegemite on a cheese roll by my flatmate Danielle, I wouldn't even be able to talk knowledgeably about this. As it stands, she's been trying to convert me by serving me crackers and cheese with just the slightest coating of vegemite (cheese softens the bitter, salty taste). For now Vegemite has more intrigue than palatability. Danielle may win this one in the end, but I think it's safe to say I won't be buying a jar anytime soon.

No comments: